Thursday, March 20, 2014

Neurosurgery and DNA



Remember the post about the wind blowing the hospital roof off

A few more thoughts from that Valentine Day surgery.

Pain screaming from his left calf—excruciating, limp-creating, life-altering pain.

Finally diagnosed, a severe herniated disc. The nerve supporting the left calf crying for relief from its squished state near the base of his spine.

A sigh of relief with the diagnosis, the problem identified; the cringe of the cure—surgery.  

tools of physical therapy
Then the waiting room, one hour, the predicted two hours, almost three hours and he appears still in blue scrubs. Success.

He tells of seeing the flattened nerve expand before his eyes to its healthy round shape. Amazing. Thankful. Exhaling.

I identify with that flattened nerve.

For too many years that nerve could have pictured the DNA of godliness that was planted in me before I was born calling for relief from its squished state. My God-given genes unable to flow through me to bless others. My wrong belief system kept them impotent.

The cure meant surgery, surgery of my heart and mind. God exposed the problem and prescribed a long regimen of gospel truth. I needed to know God loved me. I needed to believe the righteousness imparted to me, the key to growing into my new creation.

Waiting, waiting, waiting. Gospel surgery like physical surgery requires a willing patient, a skilled
tools of spiritual therapy
practitioner, large doses of proper medications, and in the case of gospel surgery those pills are truth pills. And time. Often even the recuperation involves pain, pain worth the cost. 

Physical surgery and gospel surgery, both gifts from our heavenly Father. Are you in the midst of surgery? I’d love to pray for you. Please stay in touch.

“For the moment all discipline seems painful rather than pleasant, but later it yields the peaceful fruit of righteousness to those who have been trained by it. Therefore lift your drooping hands and strengthen you weak knees and make straight paths for your feet, so that what is lame may not be put out of joint but rather be healed.” Hebrews 12:11, 12, and 13

1 comment:

  1. This was a great analogy of the work that God wants to do in our lives.

    ReplyDelete