Thursday, March 6, 2014

A Lenten Invitation



Ash Wednesday was yesterday, the beginning of Lent.

Growing up, my Catholic friends celebrated Lent by getting ashes smeared on their foreheads and giving up something. This roused my curiosity and attracted me in a way I can’t explain.

This year I plan to celebrate Lent.

One definition of Lent is it is a Biblically based way to set time apart to refocus exclusively on our relationship with God. Another records, setting aside time for reflection, fasting, and repentance in recognition of the sacrifice Jesus made for me.

It sounds like Lent is a time to offer to God, once again my heart and my listening ear.

“Listen diligently to me, and eat what is good, and delight yourselves in rich food. Incline your ear, and come to me; hear that your soul may live;” Parts of Isaiah 55:2 and 3

I am accepting this invitation. Although I didn’t announce it with ashes, I’m sharing it with you. 

Would you like to join me on this Lenten journey and see what you hear?

Following Ruth Haley Barton’s lead in her recent article for The Transforming Center, this Lenten season I’m going to pray the words of Psalm 139:23 and 24 each day and ask God what he wants to say to me.

I’m not giving up something except maybe self-protection. I’m not really adding anything. This scripture is part of my normal devotional life for Lent. I am journaling what I hear.  I’m still asking, God what does it look like to trust you today? And for these next 40 days I am using the words of Psalm 139.

Please, RSVP.

“Search me, O God, and know my heart! Try me and know my thoughts! And see if there be any grievous way in me, and lead me in the way everlasting!"                                                                                                          Psalm 139:23 and 24

Other friends have encouraged me on this lenten journey. Click over here for Ruth Haley Barton's words and here for the story of my friend Christie Purifoy. This link will take you to Ann Voskamp's words.


No comments:

Post a Comment