Thursday, May 3, 2012

An Affirmation Story

I was one of almost 100 in Sunday school that morning listening to my friend’s story. During her widowed years she alone raised her grand-daughter. It’s been a challenging journey. Her grand-daughter, now 19, was also listening.

When my friend finished her story and returned to her seat, another lady spoke up, “I was her (the grand-daughter’s) high school Sunday school teacher. She worked hard at memorizing the catechism. Her heart for God was evident.”

Another stood, “I so appreciated when she came up to me after my husband’s bike accident and told me she was praying for him.”

A third testified, “I think she is the friendliest person in our church.” I would add, I know few who know the names of everyone as well as she does.

The affirmations came like pop-corn.

A holy hush descended on the room. It was palpable.

I once heard a man say, you will never know who you are without affirmation. I am so glad the grand-daughter was in the room to hear the spontaneous affirmations that came her way. I hope she remembers.

“Therefore encourage one another and build one another up, just as you are doing.”
I Thessalonians 5:11

No comments:

Post a Comment