Thursday, May 24, 2012

Gramma Prays

Our son posted these thoughts (not his exact words) on Facebook earlier this week.

Judah has been saying "why" all morning. Unfortunately I don't know if ...
     he is asking the question "why";
     he is asking to watch his favorite TV show, Super Why;
     or is he commenting on the fact that we are going to the Y for a
           workout.
Who knew two year olds could engage in lexical ambiguity so effectively.

Or could it be that for Judah's dad (a pastor) and for Judah's mom (a physician) "why" is an important question. Perhaps asking "why" is in Judah's genes.

The story reminds me of my struggle with prayer. Does God sometimes wonder at my requests? Or even as He listens is He shaking His head in disbelief?

Sometimes I'm afraid to pray. I'm aware of my one-sided knowledge of situations. And I'm aware of my limited understanding of the workings of God.

I don't want to mess things up.

I know scriptures that encourage me to pray along the lines of my desires:
     "... the desire of the righteous will be granted". Proverbs 19:24
     "Delight yourself in the Lord and He will give you the desires of your heart". Psalm 37:4

I also know others:
     "And he gave them their request; but sent leanness into their soul". Psalm 105:15, KJV.

Recently, as I was really wanting to ask God to work in a certain way and puzzling over the scriptures that kept coming to mind, God's still small voice whispered to me, Sue, go ahead and ask. You can trust me with the outcome. I am good.

What a relief; what an encouragement. My prayers were emboldened and this gramma prays on with renewed confidence in the One who brings about good answers to her prayers.

"Trust in the Lord with all your heart, do not lean on your own understanding.
In all your ways acknowledge him, and he will make straight your paths".
Proverbs 3:5 and 6

                                            





No comments:

Post a Comment