Wednesday, October 26, 2011

Quiet or QUIET

The alarm clock rudely barges into my sleep; the five beeps of the coffee pot are a mixed blessing; the barking of the neighbor’s dog and the faithful garbage man seal the deal – I’m awake. My day with all its noises begins.

Romans 10:17, Faith comes by hearing. How quiet do I need to be to hear?
Zephaniah 3:17, He will quiet you by His love. Am I aware of His quieting love?

We live in the country surrounded by tall Ponderosa Pines. Our neighbors are near but the trees obscure their homes – it is private and quiet.   

Many mornings I gather my Bible, journals, mug of coffee and head to our deck - I love being outside in our quiet haven. I arrange everything and settle in – the beginning of my quiet time.

My teaching days return to instruct me. A roomful of eager third graders challenge my communication skills. I quickly learn that a soft voice controls better than a loud one; when I speak quietly their desire to hear quiets their voices.

God speaks quietly too. How important is it to me that I hear the quiet whisper – the still small voice of God? Or are the noises in my life robbing my attention?

I’m learning:
Quietness is a need; God hardwired me for quiet.
Quietness is an art; it does not come naturally.
Quietness is a skill; it is a habit to be developed.
Quietness is a gift; I must un-wrap it to enjoy.

So I sit and stare for a bit enjoying God’s creation. I ponder His words for me and remember. I pray and lay my concerns at His feet a-gain. Sometimes I read a favorite author and all the while, I listen for God. My restlessness transforms into rest – a rest so energizing I want to shout it from the rooftops – but then I interrupt the quiet of my neighbors. The quietness accomplishes its purpose – faith resulting from hearing.

“… and the result of righteousness, quietness and trust forever.”
Isaiah 32:17b


No comments:

Post a Comment