Wednesday, March 28, 2012

Kept from Recognizing

These three words from Luke 24:16 stop me short. Jesus had come alongside Cleopas and his friend on the road to Emmaus. Even though they were deep in conversation about Jesus, they didn’t realize it was Jesus himself who had joined them.

I don’t blame Cleopas and his friend—after all the text says, “they were kept from recognizing him”. My question is why, why were they kept from recognizing him?  Wouldn’t God want me to know that Jesus is right there with me, walking beside me when I’m in the midst of the hard questions of life?

The questions swirl around:
She always wanted to be a pastor’s wife …
He graduated from seminary with distinction …
We thought God wanted us to serve Him overseas …
Why is life not matching up with expectations? Expectations that seem good and right and God’s will. Why is God keeping himself hidden?

“This is my beloved Son, with whom I am well pleased; listen to him.” This is God’s admonition to Peter and James and John in Matthew 17. Am I so busy reviewing all that I hope for; all that seems logical; all that is surely God’s will that I am not listening? Perhaps God wants me to stop reviewing disappointments and question marks and be quiet enough to listen. Maybe what I think is best isn’t best.

I’m learning to ask:
What is it that you know will give me life?
What are you saying about these circumstances?
What cautions should I be aware of?
God, what does it look like to trust you in this situation today?
God, how should I be praying?
God, would you give me a glimpse of yourself?

“Everyone who is of the truth listens to my (Jesus’) voice.”
Luke 18:37; parentheses mine.

1 comment:

  1. "Perhaps God wants me to stop reviewing disappointments and question marks and be quiet enough to listen." Talk about a word aptly spoken! Just printed out the questions and am off to hear whatever Jesus wants to say to me through them. Thanks Sue!

    ReplyDelete