Saturday, September 10, 2011

The Carpenter's Apprentice

That’s me. J The carpenter is my husband.

We are home from vacation; a different kind of vacation.
·        Yes, we had time to enjoy the solitude of our mountain haven.
·        Yes, we had time for hiking.
·        Yes, we consumed a few books (mostly novels).
·        Yes, our Scrabble competition defined each night (Bill won).
And we also erected a shed – more accurately a mini-cabin – not quite finished.

Although not typical vacation fare, our shed documents the fact that couples working together can have fun, expand their skill sets (don’t think I’ll put nailing at the top of any future resumes), ramp up their courage, and foster their prayer lives.

As I hammered and stained, I pondered and prayed. Even while creating a shed, I am reminded of the character of God. The project highlights two characteristics in particular:

1. Bill believes in me more than I believe in myself – “Sue, you can do this” he tells me. He explains each step; demonstrates for me; and trusts me with the task. Isn’t that so like God? He trusts me with far more than I ever thought I could handle.

2. Bill unveils only the next step. That is enough. It would be overwhelming to try and grasp the whole project at its inception. That’s how I experience God; He unveils the next step and reserves the big picture for Himself. Thankfully!

Perhaps shed building should be included in the description of the Proverbs 31 woman?!

“The heart of her husband trusts in her …
She … works with willing (most of the time) hands,”
Proverbs 31:11 and 13

No comments:

Post a Comment