Saturday, August 13, 2011

Stories

Eugene Peterson highlights the importance of stories in this quote from Leap over a Wall, Reflections on the Life of David ~

“Learning stories isn’t the same as learning the multiplication tables.  Once we’ve learned that three times four equals twelve, we’ve learned it and that’s that.  It’s a fact that doesn’t change.  The data is stored in our memory for ready access.
 But stories don’t stay put, they grow and deepen.  The meaning doesn’t exactly change but it matures … stories keep releasing new insight in new situations.  As we bring new experience and insight to the story, the story gathers that enrichment in and gives it back to us in fresh form.”

My life validates that.  Earlier this week I was thinking about peace.  I need peace.  My sister is struggling with lung disease and it’s scary.  My mind went to John 14:27, “Peace I leave with you; my peace I give to you.  Not as the world gives do I give to you.  Let not your hearts be troubled, neither let them be afraid.”  When I look that verse up, I am reminded that those words are embedded in the story of Jesus promising his disciples the gift of another Helper who is going to dwell with them. 

I had never thought about Jesus’ words in light of a sick sister.  I never had to.  But in my new circumstance the promise of a Helper and the promise of peace took on new critical meaning.  The story Jesus was telling grew, matured, and deepened because of my current story. Jesus’ story released new courage and peace to me in the midst of my story. The Helper is helping.

Dan Allendar says that our faith is meant to grow through stories.  When I see my life as a story and study that story and connect it with God’s story, I learn to trust. 

This week I’ve been learning to trust the God who is with me; the God who loves me; the God who is sovereign as I walk through the valley.

What are you learning as you connect your story to God’s story?

“When I am afraid, I put my trust in you.”
Psalm 56:3

2 comments:

  1. Sue, my heart goes out to you as you reach out to the Lord. I know the intense pain of helplessness as you watch someone so dear deal with life-threatening illness. I also know the intense comfort that the Lord gives us there, when no other comfort will do.

    You and your sister are in my prayers

    ReplyDelete
  2. Major mixed emotions going on here - I think this is my favorite blog yet! What excellent thoughts for chewing on! But my heart hurts for you and your family, Sue. May all of you experience the Lord's comfort and presence in a richer and deeper way than ever before ~ and keep drawing even closer to Him as the story continues.

    ReplyDelete