Thursday, February 18, 2016

Living Commissioned

The plaques, the awards, the commendations, the appreciations wallpapered the place my eyes rested every day. It was impressive; it was what the company wanted me to believe - you, Sue are important to us; just look at what you've accomplished. And for a while, it worked; it fed my ego.



But I couldn't ignore the niggling feeling, the unbeckoned questions. Something wasn't right. (I wrote about it four years ago. You might remember, Taking Down the Wall.)
 
Many of those framed pieces of paper led me astray. They reinforced who I wasn't. I took down the wall. It's nakedness now crying, but who are you, Sue?

I knew the answer; I knew the truth.

God journaled it before I was conceived (Jeremiah 1:5). And his words have been swirling through my brain and echoing in my heart speaking the truth I need to hear; I need to remember; I need to trust.

Similar to the apostle Paul, these are important words to me ...
"... he (and me too) is a chosen instrument of mine ..." Acts 9:15, parentheses added

In the last few years, two other pieces of paper have affirmed publicly what God has been saying about me since eternity past. Yes, I had them framed. Yes, they do speak of accomplishments - but more importantly they speak truly. They speak of what God has already spoken over me.  No, my eyes do not rest on them every day.

"Our worth is not the same as our usefulness."
Henri J.J. Nouwen, Out of Solitude

They are a visible representation of the context in which I live out my worth, where I want my usefulness to flourish.

What picture has God given you of your usefulness?
What scriptures encourage you along those lines?

"In love he predestined us for adoption ...
according to the purpose of his will,"
                          Ephesians 1:5

No comments:

Post a Comment