Wednesday, February 24, 2016

Avalanche Proportions

The avalanche of hards continues.

This most recent left me gasping for breath. Could I survive yet another hard? Inside I screamed,
I.CAN'T.WRITE.ANOTHER.TRIBUTE! Tears stained my cheeks. Life has been overwhelming.

I wiped my tears, threw on my coat, grabbed Lexie's leash (for my dog who doesn't know what sad is), and headed out. How should I pray, I prayed.

The gentle, understanding whisper was instantaneous, Sue, you're human. Pray as a human. Pray for healing, complete healing. My shoulders relaxed, I picked up my pace, and I prayed. I prayed for complete healing.

God gets it. Paul writes about this paradox of our lives as human Christians, as believers in a sovereign God.
"... and the life I now live in the flesh, I live by faith ..."
the middle of Galatians 2:20 (underlines mine)

Two realities, two nows, two truths captured in the middle of one sentence.
  • I now live in the flesh - I am human.
  • I live by faith - My trust is not in myself.
As a human being, I have human desires (complete healing).
                               I have human reactions (I can't take another hard).
                               I have human ideas (things I can do to help).

As a human being who lives by faith, I have a new lens.
                                                             I have a new ability.
                                                             I have a new trust.
                                                             I have a new peace.
                                                             I have a new security.

Both are true at the same time!

Will I put my weight on my humanity?
or
Will I put my weight on my faith?

If in the midst, I'm experiencing the peace that passes all understanding, then my weight is on my faith.

Joel and Kelly Helms
As of this writing, I do not know how God is answering my prayer for complete healing. If you wish to join in prayer for my friend Joel, his wife Kelly set up a CaringBridge page where she shares current requests.


"And the peace of God, which surpasses all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus."
Philippians 4:7


No comments:

Post a Comment