Thursday, January 14, 2016

Plunged Into Dependence

I read the love penned on our Christmas cards. The care, the concern jump off the card stock into my heart as memories flood back. Thankfulness overwhelmed as I remember the many, many ways we were loved during the crazies of 2015.

I also remember God. As the circumstances of life plunged us into dependence, He faithfully met us on the journey. The words of our friend, Jason Tippetts communicated well. We were living in "the peace that shouldn't be" ... at least in how the world views the hards of life.








These 5 principles from long-known scriptures came alive for me:

"Trust in the LORD with all your heart,
and do not lean on your own understanding." 
Proverbs 3:5
As we were reeling from the news of Ezra's failed surgery, God spoke softly to my husband,
God gives us permission to not understand.
Trust.
I don't remember God ever asking me to understand; I do know His desire for my trust.

"The Lord is at hand;
do not be anxious ..."
Philippians 4:5b, 6a

Context is everything. Years ago I memorized Philippians 4:6 and 7. But it wasn't until many years later that I observed the context. Knowing God is near provides the courage to not be anxious. Praying to see God's nearness calmed the anxiety of my soul. 


"Peace I leave with you;"
John 14:27
I didn't tattoo that truth to my arm, I tattooed it to my heart. I'm learning that peace isn't dependent on circumstances; peace is dependent on focus, on trusting truth. The pleas of my prayers changed with the changing of my life, but these same verses spoke to each new reality.

The mountains and the hills captured in one photo.
"I lift up my eyes to the hills.
From where does my help come?
My help comes from the LORD,
who made heaven and earth."
Psalm 121:1 and 2
Living in Colorado I get to see the grandeur of the Rocky Mountains almost daily. But these scriptures came alive during my 5 weeks in Los Angeles. Whether enjoying walking with my GRANDS through their neighborhood, driving the 405 to the hospital, or peering out the hospital windows, the hills surrounding the San Fernando Valley were always evident. Yes, hills surrounding the city of Los Angeles. There ever present-ness reminded me of Psalm 121:1 and 2. Now that scripture hangs above my desk as my daughter-in-law stitched it for me during her long days of hospital time. Thank you, Aubrey.

Ezra checking out his twin.
"For now we see in a mirror dimly, but then face to face.
Now I know in part; then I shall know fully,
even as I have been fully known."
I Corinthians 13:12
Two truths stand out ...
God knows me (us) fully.
and
We don't know the big picture.
Both truths give courage. And I don't have to figure out the why. Again, another place to place trust.

What scriptures give you the courage to face the next day in the midst of hard? How do the words of the Bible become truths tattooed to your heart?




No comments:

Post a Comment