Thursday, May 8, 2014

G.L.A.M. ~ OROUS




“Deep friendship is a calling forth of each other’s chosenness and a mutual affirmation of being precious in God’s eyes.” Henri Nouwen in Life of the Beloved.

Deep friendships AND we also skate on thin ice each year—and there is a danger of crashing through.

When seduced to compare our contribution to the kingdom, there is no end to the measuring and no end to the disappointment. In this setting, comparison can flourish. 

On the surface, it doesn’t make itself known. But comparison simmers just below smiling faces. 

It is easy to think, her ministry is more glamorous than mine; her role is more important than mine; she is reaching more with the gospel of grace than I. I wish I could live overseas … or in Florida. Or, or, or.

Oh the dangers of those thoughts; they lead astray; they depress; they deny the gospel; they are wrong!

I am susceptible. So I start many days reviewing familiar scriptures and asking myself questions like the ones below. I want to kill the comparison gene and mature into who God created me to be.

Jeremiah 1:5 – “Before I formed you in the womb, I knew you; before you were born I consecrated you;”       
Will I trust that God consecrated me before my birth for a specific role in his kingdom?

John 15:5 – “Whoever abides in me … he it is that bears much fruit."                                                          
I bet God sees fruit that we are never aware of! Will I trust that?

II Corinthians 3:18 – “And we, who with unveiled faces all reflect the Lord’s glory …” NIV                                       
Will I trust that it’s not what I do, but who I am that shows God to my world?

Song of Solomon 7:10 – “I am my beloved’s, and his desire is for me.”
Can I believe God has desires for me?

Saint Augustine wisely teaches, God formed us for Himself. Our hearts are restless until we find our rest in Him.

Just out last fall, I have found this book to be a great encouragement. I highly recommend it. You can purchase it here

God created each of us uniquely so his love is shown to the world. I want to abide in truth and walk on his paths for me. How about you? What helps you to not compare? What scriptures feed life to your heart?

"Only let your manner of life be worthy of the gospel of Christ, ... striving side by side for the faith of the gospel," Philippians 1:27

No comments:

Post a Comment