Thursday, January 30, 2014

Reflecting, part 2



And we all, with unveiled face, beholding the glory of the Lord, 
are being transformed 
into the same image from one degree of glory to another…”
II Corinthians 3:18, ESV

In the process of beholding and reflecting God to my world (an incredible privilege by itself), the underlined words, are being transformed greatly encourage. Not only is God allowing us to reflect him, in the same moment, he is growing and maturing us—one step (one degree) at a time. YES!

Several years ago, The Navigators sponsored a two year seminar. The participants traveled four times during those two years to an enviable location to learn from a group of people I admired. This seminar was by invitation only; I was not among the invited.

That was hard—very hard. Jealousy raged; I wanted to be in the ‘in group’. My experience of God’s love faltered. Rejected was the better descriptor. As I thought about my colleagues flying away to the meetings, the old lie, I’m not good enough was the loudest thing in my head… that hurt!

Each morning on the thermometer nailed to our front porch I check the degrees. I live
Yes, it was cold the day I snapped this.
in Colorado; I know the degrees will register higher throughout the day.

Spiritual growth, like the mercury in our thermometer, moves slowly, glacially even. The degree-by-degree climb recorded on my outdoor thermometer is a picture of spiritual growth, subtle yet real. What I reflect today is different from what I will reflect next month.

This fall the invitation came my way. I was among the invited. Invited to participate in a graduate level course taught by the same people who led the seminar I missed out on several years ago.

Strangely it wasn’t a slam-dunk decision. Neutral described my response. As I considered the surprise invite and my more surprising response, I prayed, reviewed my journals, and talked with my husband.  In the end I decided yes, count me in.

What led to this different response? Several things. The most important … I no longer anchor my identity in invitations. My new identity allowed objective consideration. Ahhhh, what freedom! “… and where the Spirit of the Lord is, there is freedom.” 
II Corinthians 3:17

As your eyes scan these words, the course commences. I’m a bit nervous; I am also excited; I’m anticipating that spiritual maturing will happen degree by degree and I will be a changed person on the other side, a better reflection of the One who created me.

“’But now that you’ve found you don’t have to listen to sin tell you what to do, and have discovered the delight of listening to God tell you, what a surprise! A whole, healed, put-together life right now, with more and more of life on the way!’    
 Romans 6:22, The Message”
The Maroon Bells reflected in the still lake below. It was suggested I name this blog Reflections of Grace.


                                                                               



No comments:

Post a Comment