Wednesday, December 25, 2013

O Holy Night

 
"O holy night! The stars are brightly shining,
It is the night of our dear Saviour's birth.
Long lay the world in sin and error pining,
'Til He appear'd and the soul felt its worth.
A thrill of hope the weary world rejoices,
For yonder breaks a new and glorious morn".

I love this Christmas carol. The fourth line,"'Til He appear'd and the soul felt its worth" swirled over and over in my heart this December. Like gentle white snowflakes fluttering to their home on the ground, these words found a home in my heart. I am humbled.
This well-known carol speaks old truth. As I pondered it, I heard - possibly for the first time - the wonderfully encouraging message. The soul (my soul) felt its worth!
I am worth Jesus leaving his Father's side to be born and live among us.
In moments of silence, in the nurturing of quiet, in the treasuring of truth, love is known; significance is experienced; worth is substantiated. My soul feels it.
I am so thankful.
The verse continues...
"A thrill of hope the weary world rejoices,
For yonder breaks a new and glorious morn".
My soul feeling worth - a wonderful thrilling hope. A hope fully realized when Jesus completed his earthly journey he started on Christmas.

Oh what GREAT joy, Oh how glorious - I feel it!

The cross Jesus bore validated my worth.

"Fall on your knees! O hear the angel voices!
O night divine, O night when Christ was born..."
These words I've sung and loved for years lead me to fall on my knees, to worship the one who is the source of my soul's worth.
What about you? What truth have you heard this Christmas through words that are so familiar? Let's bless each other. Please leave a comment and share with me and the other Echoes of Grace readers.

Merry Christmas!

Josh Groban sings O Holy Night here. Enjoy.
 
  

No comments:

Post a Comment