Saturday, July 9, 2011

Maybe I'm Too Wounded

She desperately desired like-hearted friends; friends with whom she could be vulnerable and they wouldn’t run in fear.  But they seemed non-existent.  Maybe I’m too wounded was the only explanation that made sense to her.

Our friendship was rather new – and long-distance – but we knew each other well enough to know we were on the same page.  I heard her sadness.  I shared her desire.

And I looked up to her.  She seemed to have lots of friends.  She seemed so wise and so spiritual with the quotes she posted.  I longed to know her better.  (Can you tell that our communication was mainly through Facebook?)

Then those words, maybe I’m too wounded spilled out.  Something was different.  Something very personal was shared; something very vulnerable.  She cracked the door of her heart.  It was a turning point.

Several states away sitting in my home, I too desired those like-hearted friends.  Sure, I had plenty of friends, but who really understood my heart and me theirs?

I phoned my new and long-distance friend.  We talked.  We shared.  We understood.  We hung up closer friends than before I dialed.  And we learned some stuff:  like-hearted friends don’t have to live in the same town, vulnerability aides friendships, knowing who someone is is far more friendship building than knowing about someone.  We hung up encouraged.

“And the man and his wife were both naked and were not ashamed.”
Genesis 2:25


1 comment:

  1. Agreed. Technology has closed the gap of distance. Vulnerability closes the gap of loneliness.

    Thanks for being so open.

    ReplyDelete