Saturday, April 23, 2011

A Personal Easter Story

Resurrection is bringing to life that which was dead.  The resurrection in my life dawned over a period of years as I pondered the life-giving truths of scripture.  The ah-ha moment came quickly as I realized what was happening in my life.

The Old Testament law in Leviticus 19 teaches me to love my neighbor just like I love myself.  And that’s how I “loved” for a long time ~ just like I loved myself.  For example, I never felt like I was good enough.  Others seemed to always have the opportunities I wanted.  So in loving them like I loved myself, I really didn’t believe that they were good enough either!  They really weren’t qualified for their opportunities either.

Another un-truth I clung to was that I needed a role or a title to have significance in the Kingdom.  And when I did have certain roles or titles, even significant ones, others always seemed to have better ones.  So in loving others like I loved myself I had to down-play their contributions.  I could not appreciate their contributions just like I never realized the significance of mine.  Attempting to love others like I loved myself was an exercise in futility.  No-one was experiencing love!

A few years ago I started praying that I would love others well.  God’s faithfulness in answering that prayer led to the ah-ha moment and a resurrection in my heart.  Something began to come to life in me.

Jesus gives us a new commandment in the New Testament in John 13 concerning love.  He teaches me to love one another just like He loves me.  The source of my love is not how I love myself; the source of my love is how Jesus loves me!  Ah-ha!  Resurrection!

As I pondered Jesus’ love for me, I began to experience my love for others changing.  I noticed opportunities to affirm others and I could genuinely do that.  Because I had the DNA of godliness, I was “good enough” and my friends were too.  After all, “I am fearfully and wonderfully made”, Psalm 139:14.

And as I meditated on II Corinthians 4:7, The Message translation reads, “We carry this message in an unadorned clay pot”.  The message of the Kingdom doesn’t require a role or a title, a clay pot will do.  So it has become easier to love and submit to those who have roles and/or titles.  My submission communicates loving like Jesus loves.  Because I am experiencing God’s love for me, it has become natural to share it with others.  This has been transformational for me.  That which was dead came to life.  I’m finding myself loving and enjoying my friends and their contributions.  I’m not feeling threatened or insignificant.  Ah-ha ~ Love as Jesus loves me!

“A new commandment I give to you, that you love one another: just as I have loved you, you also are to love one another.”
John 13:34

No comments:

Post a Comment