Friday, June 17, 2011

Questions for Self

Asking myself questions helps me to tune into what God might be saying to me.  The questions came fast as I thought about Psalm 23 the last several weeks.  I’m still pondering and these are some that are helping me ponder.

  • Am I trusting today that the Lord is my shepherd?
  • Am I looking around to others to get my needs met or to the Lord who is my shepherd?
  • Do I trust the order of Psalm 23 that when I need the green pastures, then my next need is the still waters AND ONLY THEN the paths of righteousness?
  • If I would insert myself into Psalm 23, where would I be … in the green pastures; beside the still waters; experiencing His leading in the paths of righteousness; experiencing His rod and staff; at the table; etc?
  • OK, when I know where I am.  Can I discern the next step?
  • What do the green pastures and/or the still waters look like for me?
  • Is my soul in a place of restoration?
  • Am I trusting that the hard things in my life right now are not affecting His paths of righteousness for me?
  • Can other people answer these questions for me?  
I think I know the answer to that last question.  Sometimes, but not often.   My gut feeling is most of the time I need to answer them for myself.  And I’m working on that.

What helps you ponder the truths of Scripture?

“Ask, and it will be given to you; seek, and you will find; knock, and it will be opened to you.  For everyone who asks receives, and the one who seeks finds, and to the one who knocks, it will be opened. … how much more will your Father who is in heaven give good things to those who ask him!”
Matthew 7:7 - 11

1 comment:

  1. Sue, again you have poked beneath the surface of our walk with God.

    The concept I love in this post is how you point out that we need the green pastures and still waters, "AND ONLY THEN" He leads us down the paths of righteousness. Sanctification doesn't happen in our own strength. And God who is good wants to fill our needs with Himself in those quiet places before He turns us out to do good works.

    I need to remember that balance today.
    Thank you.
    PS: This is Sally, Ashley must have signed onto my computer. :)

    ReplyDelete