Saturday, January 1, 2011

How Many WAYS Do I Need To Tell You?

It’s been a journey.  It started in college in 1966.  At least that’s when I have memory of it.  And it continues.

In the fall of ’66, God drew me into a brand new relationship with Him.  Christianity became for me more than my religion, it was now a relationship with God.  I became His child.  “But to all who received Him, who believed in His name, He gave power to become the children of God”.   John 1:12

It wasn’t until years later that I realized I wasn’t only His child, but as His child, I was the recipient of His lavished love!  WOW!!!  “How great is the love the Father has lavished on us, that we should be called the children of God and that is exactly who we are”. I John 3:1

Then I began to grasp the concept that I was chosen and adopted.  I was wanted!  How wonderfully affirming that is to me.

As part of my adoption, there is purpose.  There is direction.  There is reason.  “You did not choose me, but I chose you and appointed you that you should go and bear fruit…”.  John 15:16

About 3 years ago while reading one of Eugene Peterson’s books about Jeremiah, an amazingly wonderful truth grabbed my heart.  “Before I formed you in the womb, I knew you.  And before you were born, I consecrated you …”  Jeremiah 1:5  Before I was even born into my family God had a purpose for me;  He had set me apart for something special!  God whispered that truth to me privately.  It was a life-changer.

About a year later, The hymn, “Draw Me Nearer” also spoke to my heart along the same lines.  The second verse starts, “Consecrate me now to Thy service Lord by the power of grace divine.  May my soul look up with a steadfast hope and my will be lost in Thine”.  That gave words to my heart.

And then God affirmed it in a public setting.  Actually I was the only one who realized the profound truth of my being anointed with oil.  But I was the only one who needed to realize it.  I was anointed because I was consecrated for something special.  I needed that re-affirmed for me. 

I imagine the journey will continue.  And that is one of my prayers for 2011, this new year ... that I will be in tune with God's affirmations for me.  They make a difference!

Ephesians 1:5,  “In love, He predestined us for adoption according to the purpose of His will”.


No comments:

Post a Comment