Thursday, July 28, 2016

A Time to Pause

Thank you, Nancy Ruminski for sharing this picture from your blog, A Little Dash of Love.

Psalm 23 is perhaps the first scripture I ever memorized as a child. Back then it was only words, important words - they were in my Bible, but words. I hadn't yet been introduced to The Word who is God, who is life, who came and lived on this earth. John 1:1,4,14.

This Word is now my foundation for my relationship with God; he calls me his child. John 1:12. And this Word is full of grace and truth. John 1:14.

But grace is only grace, and truth is only truth, until I learn to trust it.

My Bible now is not merely a book of words, it is an invitation to live my relationship with God as his child. It is my opportunity to trust truth. I open my Bible to enjoy my son-ship with God, to experience the reality that is mine.

"The LORD is my shepherd; I shall not want."

In my single teaching days, Ellen was my roommate. She has a lovely singing voice. One of my favorites from her repertoire was Psalm 23. She voiced the first words as Because the LORD is my shepherd, I have everything that I need. Now, because the Lord is my shepherd, I am able to experience his care, his guidance, his protection, his provision, everything that I need. Words come to life.

My days have been full, wonderful, and tiring. In August my shepherd is providing a time to pause, to rejuvenate, to listen for his love. This is what I need.

"He makes me lie down in green pastures.
He leads me beside still waters.
He restores my soul."

My green pastures are the Wet Mountains; the still waters are the gurgling brooks sliding over the rocks in Colorado streams. I look forward to soul restoration.





Long-time friends, visited this morning. The wife told the story of  a spiritual conversations she had with some friends.

One day she asked them, what is the most important thing I can impart to you? There answers were many and varied. It was obvious they respected her. Then it was her turn. She said, you know, I think the most important thing I can leave with you is the you know how much God loves you!

YES! That's what I want too, a new dose of God's love!

So for the month of August, Echoes of Grace is pausing, taking its annual vacation. It will be a time of simple living, of focusing my attention on God and experiencing his gaze on me. It will be sleep-in days, reading days, hiking days, Scrabble nights or movie nights with Bill. 

Echoes of Grace will return September 1.

And it is returning with a SURPRISE! There will be hints during the month of August.
So check in each Thursday, so you won't miss anything.

See you in September,
sue

"He leads me in the path of righteousness for his name's sake."
Psalm 23:3b













1 comment:

  1. Thanks for this! Excited for August:) Enjoy your resting days!

    ReplyDelete