Friday, May 27, 2011

Weariness and Walls or My Summer Questions

It’s that time of year.  Since kindergarten my life has revolved around the nine month – three month school calendar.  For as long as I can remember, the start of summer is one of the highlights of my year.  This year is no exception.  We’re a bit weary and ready for the re-charging and the renewal that summer brings. 

Last September I called my first blog, Living Inside the Box.  A box has sides or walls and God has specifically designed the perfect box for each of His children.  Sometimes the wear and tear of life causes the walls to develop cracks or other faults that need repair.  Summer has typically been a time or repair.  As this summer starts, these are some of the questions that I’m pondering about the walls God has designed for me.

The beginning words of Isaiah 26 are foundational.  Isaiah 26:1, records “We have a strong city; he sets up salvation as walls and bulwarks.”  My salvation, my status as a child of God, is the basis for the walls around my life.  I love the security of that picture.  Just as a young baby with a tiny room grows and their close-in walls need to expand, the walls of my life are expanding as well as I grow and understand my identity.  The words of The New Bible Commentary give additional understanding. “The city is strong – not by brute force but by the saving activity of the living God.  So the enjoyment of this personal protection must be personal in truth and in trust.”  And so I ponder some questions to grow in trust …

Proverbs 25:28, “A man without self-control is like a city broken into and left without walls.”  Walls or borders or boundaries are good things.  In Old Testament times many cities were surrounded by literal walls for their protection.  I too need the protection of walls in my life.  This scripture begs this question from me:
Father, what are the self-controls I need to exercise this summer?

Psalm 51:18, “Do good to Zion in your good pleasure; build up the walls of Jerusalem;”
God is in the business of building up and doing good for us.  One way He accomplishes that is by building our walls.
Father, how can I co-operate with you as You build up my walls this summer?

Isaiah 62:6, “On your walls, O Jerusalem, I have set watchmen;…”  These watchmen are like guardians praying and watching for the fulfillment of God’s promises.  (ESV commentary) 
Father, what are the promises You want me to be trusting You for this summer?

Micah 7:ll, “A day for the building of your walls!  In that day the boundary shall be far extended.”  I love it.  God is changing my capacity.
Father, what will my new capacity look like at the end of the summer?

And so I conclude:    
* I need walls.  They are my protection.
* God controls my walls.
* My walls can be breached.
* God can expand my walls. 

“Behold, I have engraved you on the palms of my hands; your walls are continually before me.”
Isaiah 49:16

No comments:

Post a Comment